Basement mold removal can be a frustrating and tedious task if left untreated for too long. Mold exposure causes many health symptoms, such as respiratory issues, congestion and even an asthma attack. Allergies to mold can also be developed after prolonged exposure. Mold can also damage porous surfaces, like wood paneling. Mold hides in annoying, hard-to-reach locations, like behind paneling, under carpets and in nooks and crannies.
Wearing a mask is important in filtering out mold spores while you work on removing them. Also, consider using eye protection, gloves and old clothes that you will immediately need to wash upon finishing. Hard, nonporous surfaces should be scrubbed with a cleaner that does not contain ammonia. Ammonia and bleach should never be mixed, as the combination can be toxic. More porous surfaces, like paper or carpet, will most likely need to be disposed of, as you may never be able to completely remove old spores.
Combine 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach with 1 gallon of water to make a cleaning solution. Use the solution to disinfect the area that was cleared of mold. Let the area sit for at least 15 minutes, then rinse it with clean water. Quickly dry the surface to prevent more mold from growing.
Now you can ventilate the location thoroughly with a fan, dehumidifier or open a window. Moisture causes mold to grow, so you will want to keep the location dry. Mold grows on wet surfaces and humid air, so keeping these problem areas under control will greatly reduce the risk of mold problems recurring. Doing the job right first will save you lots of time later.
Consider vinegar as another alternative to bleach products, if you are striving to be environmentally friendly.
Basement mold removal will greatly reduce health risks for you and your family and cleaning black mold is essential. Tackle mold early and the job will be even easier.